- oral language development
- preparation for reading
- decoding and phonics
- vowel-consonant awareness
- word recognition
- explicit awareness of grammar
Training for teachers and ancillary staff in the delivery of The Honey Ant Reader program is highly recommended.
For more information see Consultancy.
The Honey Ant Readers 1 -10 have separate Student and Teacher editions. Readers 11 – 20 have a single edition and include teacher’s notes at the back of the book.
The story, word lists, songs and rhymes are identical in both the student and teachers editions; however the teachers’ HAR includes a rationale at the end of the book.
Explanations about vocabulary, grammar and punctuation selected for each HAR are included in the rationale. The differences between SAE and AE are described in terms of:
- The Honey Ant Readers Teacher’s Handbook: This details the rationale underpinning the books and the reading program, and includes practical teaching suggestions.
- 4 Workbooks with activities to support and reinforce the material in the Readers. These complement Books 1 -5; 6 – 10; 11 – 15 and 16 – 20 respectively.
- The Honey Ant Readers Song and Rhyme Book: This book supports the acquisition of oral SAE. A detailed index indicating aspects of grammar and pronunciation is included to assist the teachers in the efficient use of this book.
- Picture, Number and Word Card Pack (180 Cards): This pack contains cards with just the picture, the picture + word, and just the word from all the HAR 1 to 10, plus number cards 1 to 10. They can be used to play games which prepare the students for reading and numeracy; to familiarise them with specific words; to help with decoding words; and to teach basic grammar and structure of SAE.